Pages

6.02.2011

Procrastination Station

There's a place in my head
I visit once in a while
It's the place where a tiny inch
Somehow turns into a mile

There's really no start and go
Instead it just drones on
And lasts as long as I want
Until the time is all gone


Even then I keep on wasting
Precious time that isn't mine
And I make lots of fun squigglies
Out of very boring straight lines

On life's highway I don't run to and fro
There's no point in racin' from A to B
Why miss the stops along the way
When there's plenty more to see?

My favorite destination
Is the capital of my nation
It's the place dreams go to die
It's Procrastination Station

Visitors turn in for a quick night's rest
"I'll only stay one night," they say
But visitors quickly turn into residents
And hardly ever move away

You'll never see an inhabitant
With anything but a smile
Their glass is half full and they're alright
Because their deadline's out a while

And when that deadline comes
And knocks on their front door
The house is empty save for a note,
"We just don't care anymore."

Deadlines haunt the place
Searching for their debtors
But everyone in P.S. knows
How to shake a pair of fetters

In Procrastination Station
Worries are gone, guilt is weak
Problems are invisible and
Consciences never speak

It's the gateway to freedom
It's the way to win it all
Here you can drop 100 feet
And never even feel the fall

You can compete alone and take first
Winning a race you never ran
Others praise your academic worth
For finishing what you never began

It's the start line and the finish line
Wrapped up in fine twine
Like the diploma that congratulates,
"You still have time to pine!"

In Procrastination Station
There's so little to do
That soon you'll look for ways
To put off being you

"What's a drop in the bucket?
What's an inch in a mile?
Why not just get a mullet
And put off being in style?"

So here I sit with my mullet
And my hand full of flowers
Waiting for another visitor
To help me kill the hours

On the road of life why run to and fro?
On my mind's highway it's plain to see
There's no point of racing from A to B
When P.S. is the only place for me

No comments:

Post a Comment