Pages

8.26.2011

Writer's Block

My mind is finally blank
The racing wheels are still
Please tell me who I have to thank
For drying the ink in my quill

Words once fell on me like rain
Trapping me in their flood
Then they seeped into my brain
And flowed through me like blood

At first the current was thrilling
Pushing me to write along
But then I wasn't willing
To sing its woeful song

Closing my eyes was even worse
I saw words of every kind
I never imagined such a curse
Could drive me out of my mind

Fleeing words wore me out
They won each time they chased
Instead I prayed for a drought
And soon they were all erased

At first bareness was splendor
I could write each lost story
But there was no hope to explore
Ten thousand years of glory

White parchment mocked me so
I hated each clean page
Every leaf was my foe
I tore each one in rage

Since when do wishes come true?
Since when do I get what I want?
A wordless world can't renew
A mind so thirsty, twisted, gaunt

At first words imprisoned me
Now freedom ain't worth a franc
What good could my life ever be
When even my mind's gone blank?

No comments:

Post a Comment