Pages

2.02.2012

Home is...

Eggshells in the sink
Dust on the mantle
Rain in the window
Backpacks on the floor

Mail on the table

Bills on the desk
Cookies on the counter
Milk in the door

Cracks in the paint

Splinters in the deck
Floorboards that creak
Faucets that leak

Skylights in the ceiling
Cats on the lawn
Clothes in the drawer
Fish in the pond

Pictures on the shelf
Cars in the driveway
Blankets on the couch
Sawdust in the garage

Tools on the bench

Thread in the needle
Laughter in the room
A feeling in the air

.….

Home doesn’t have to be a stunning multi-page spread from an interior design magazine. It can also be the little messes and tangible reminders that remind you that there are living, breathing people inside. Sure, the furniture and paint make everything look pretty but for a home to be beautiful there has to be love. This love can start with one person and spread to a second and a third as a family grows.

Our homes evolve with our lives. Sometimes they are full, sometimes they are empty. As I have grown up and lived on my own for several years I have sought to make my place in P-town “home.” It’s full of my own furniture, clothes, and souvenirs. While I love time by myself I must admit I am happiest when my place is full of friends. I am reminded that my friends are my family and, at least for now, this is home.

No comments:

Post a Comment