Pages

1.21.2011

The Moving Sidewalk

On Monday night I experienced the strangest sensation. I had just gotten home from a fun activity and was deciding what to do next. As I considered my various options I couldn’t help but think about one of the views I had seen just minutes earlier. I was high up in the mountains and had a panoramic view of peaks stretching toward the night sky. Their edges were softened by clouds that glowed in starlight. The moon hovered somewhere in the background and cast an eerie glow on the snow. The sky couldn’t decide if it was gray, blue or black and each muted hue was very much alive. Everywhere I looked the landscape took turns reflecting and swallowing the light. The friends I was with couldn’t help but notice the beauty. I might not have noticed because I was watching my feet to be sure I wouldn’t slip on icy pavement. Someone even said it looked like an illustration from a children’s book. I couldn’t have agreed more.


Somehow, someway I was so pressed to put one foot in front of the other I couldn’t make myself slow down. A mysterious force drove me forward and I allowed myself to think, “Eh, this’ll still be here tomorrow.” In other words, “Why stop and look around when I would just be slowing everyone down? I’ve seen this before and I’ll see it again.” As I sat and thought about this in the warmth of my apartment I wondered if I could get back up there again but then I realized it was getting late and I’d better be off to other things. A few hours later I was trying to fall asleep and it hit me. That strange driving force that keeps pushing me no longer how much I want to stay still feels very much like a moving sidewalk. Moving sidewalks are fantastic in airports but those usually only last so long. This moving sidewalk that I’ve been thinking about is much more like a ride I can’t get off no matter how much I’d like to.


I feel like the closest approximation to this sidewalk sensation is the “tick, tock, tick” of time. I think about time a lot and how much our culture values punctuality and the worth of a minute, hour, or day. It can be easy to calculate our hourly rate and use it as a measure of our personal value. Even if we wanted to escape the influence of time, we’d most likely find it to be difficult. Every electronic device seems to come with a clock and let’s not even mention how attractive watches can be. (I’ll be the first to admit I have a weakness for Fossil watches.) My life runs on a pretty regimented schedule (in fact I’m stressing out right now because I know I’m not going to be asleep by midnight) and I feel like having a routine keeps me sane. On the nights when my body does not cooperate with my schedule (and there have been many lately) I writhe in frustration because I know I have to fall asleep or I’ll be out of it the next day. It must be because I know how detrimental a poor night’s sleep is for me.


Setting sleep (and the lack thereof) aside, even the most relaxing vacations seem to be dominated by time. I’ve been on two really great seven night cruises and although each day I was free to do whatever I wanted, I couldn’t help but think, “Only five days left… Only four days left…” Much like the powerful engines that drove our ship forward, the moving sidewalk kept me gliding along. It wouldn’t have mattered if I was on a rocky mountain road or the smooth Caribbean Sea. I have a hard time allowing my desire to have fun outweigh the constant countdown of how much fun is left. As dread wells within me I find it is best to completely ignore the fact that my fun days are numbered. Inevitably I can’t help but count how many hours are left.


Typing out these thoughts is making me realize I’m super stressed out. It could just be the end of a hard week but I really think this is my outlook on life. Amazing things happen constantly and it is hard not to let memories slip away as time passes. No matter how hard I try to hold onto even the best memories, a few manage to escape my fingers and slide over the handrail. I turn back and look but the moving sidewalk keeps rolling. I promise myself, “I’ll remember,” but the memories only get further away. Luckily they rarely seem lost forever. Family members, friends and familiar faces always jog my memory and I often laugh out loud when long forgotten moments come racing back. Sometimes I just sit and reflect on the past but even in these still moments, the moving sidewalk is inching me ever onward.


A few days ago I wondered if there was a way to beat the sidewalk. I think the people who try the hardest find themselves living in the past. Reaching for past glory, longing for vitality, and aching for simpler times is an exhausting endeavor. It’s like making a 180-degree turn on a moving sidewalk: now you’re on a treadmill. While it can be tempting to march backwards, you’ll be taking three steps backward for every two steps forward. You will still turn a new age every 365 days and responsibility will continue to accumulate on your shoulders. The only difference will be your perspective. Although I might not like the moving sidewalk and I’ll always be looking for the point at which I can get off, I think it’s much better to face the future and hold on for the ride.


Thinking back on the amazing display of light riddling the mountains and snow with stardust and shadow, I can hear a quiet hum beneath my feet. I’m not worried about sliding on ice. In fact, I’m standing quite still. There’s not a chill in the air. It feels quite sheltered in here and I’m holding onto a handrail that’s slightly warm to the touch. My left hand grips the handle of a wheeled suitcase. I must be going somewhere but I’m not exactly sure where. Maybe I’m just watching it for someone. My surroundings are quite plain until I see a window up ahead. I enter a tunnel of glass and everywhere I look there is a winter spectacle of nature’s transfixing beauty. The far edge of the glass catches my eye and I know this is a temporary scene. Still, I manage to soak it in and capture it in my mind before the windowsill approaches and closes my view. In that same moment I feel a chill emanate from my right hand. I open it and find a perfect snowflake carved from ice. It’s rather uncomfortable to hold so I decide to put it in my suitcase. I search for a zipper or pocket but there are none to be found. There is no choice but to hold the memory in my hand. As I wonder who saddled me with this useless suitcase the snowflake begins to drip.

4 comments:

  1. maybe you should be a writer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous21/1/11 11:24

    You and Brenda Taylor should be FB Friends. Look at some of the things she writes...you would appreciate the imagery. - Roger Harris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous21/1/11 16:04

    Thank you for this beautiful expressive experience! I don't know your pursuits or ambitions or accomplishments to date, but I know that when a person ends her writing with "As I wonder who saddled me with this useless suitcase the snowflake begins to drip" then that person is already a writer. I love your expression regarding time and the burden and blessing of it! Bren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous21/1/11 23:24

    Speaking to a field mouse, Robert Burns pines for the seeming blessing of a narrower perspective:

    "Still thou art blest, compared with me
    The present only toucheth thee:
    But, Oh! I backward cast my eye
    On prospects drear!
    And forward, though I cannot see,
    I guess and fear!"

    While the ability to imagine the future and remember the past are important components of intelligence, there is something to be said for the ability to ignore them and focus on the present. When the cow is in the barn, the cow's mind is too; when the cow is in the field, the cows mind is too. Not so with us humans. We can carry heaven or hell around with us inside, in the form of hopeful anticipation, or dreadful suspense.

    I once read an article about an introvert who medicated himself into extroversion. I don't know what pill he took, but the fantasy of walking into a room and lighting up instead of dimming has enticed me for decades--"shyness and introversion are such shackles," I would always lament.

    But one observation of the introvert-turned-extrovert stunned me. He said that to be unencumbered by his shyness seemed to speed up time. Days slipped by rapidly. The blissfully ignorant field mouse is cursed with an even shorter life; five years of introversion, difficult though it may be, contains ten years' worth of thoughts, memories, and impressions, all seared indelibly into the mind by intense feelings.

    The word translated as "jealous" in the Decalogue is from the Hebrew "qannah," to possess deep or sensitive feelings. Autocratic priests remaking God in their own flawed, imperious image, hmm?

    The softer the clay, the deeper the stylus can gouge it; the more attentive and sensitive the mind, the deeper a memory can become entrenched. And the more intense the feelings associated with anything, real or imagined, the more firmly it is scratched into the edifice of the mind.

    Pain seems to be the closest thing we have to brakes when it comes to slowing down time. I wonder if our minds send out a passive "ping," an observation of the world around us, and perhaps each ping or glimpse we take of the world is stored as memory, and sensed as the passage of time. Why make the effort to focus when we are not in pain? (Look how short 4 Nephi is; "Happy the people whose annals are blank..." (Keats))

    Death and the brevity of life provide certain benefits; they show us what we actually value, by our actions. Unlimited options, but limited time, means we show exactly what our priorities are by our choices. Another benefit of death and entropy is that bad things are lost like the image made on an etch-a-sketch when it is shaken, but the good that dies can be resurrected later. Like Adam and Eve, we're not stuck in this slag heap forever.

    I wish there were some way you could borrow some of my apathy. Have to, need to, got to, should, ought; these are phrases I just don't believe apply to most things. Apparently you believe them keenly, and so are tormented by the distance between should/ought, and IS.

    I wish there were some way I could borrow your tireless motivation, and you could borrow my seemingly endless ability to fall asleep. As the anecdote goes, "two Volvos = enough parts for one good car."

    ReplyDelete