Pages

1.13.2011

Away

It’s best to think of you

Holding still in a frame

Features slightly blurred

And always the same

Still as a snapshot

And quiet as a mouse

With no way to get out

And walk through my house

If I can’t fit you in a frame

Then I think it is best

to imagine you’re a ghost -

A most unwelcomed guest

You’re transparent and airy

And drift along singing

A song no one cares to hear

And leaves no heart tingling

But if you manage to come inside

And slam all the doors

If you haunt the hall

and creak the floorboards

Then I’ll find somewhere else

Where I can put you away

Where you can’t get out

And you’ll have to stay

I’ll find every piece I have of you

But you’ll never guess my plan

It’s a trick tried and true

And will work on any man

I’ll gather every memory

Even the ones you forgot

And I’ll put them all in a box

- Preferably one that locks

I’ll take the box and close it tight

And hide it somewhere in the night

Where no ghost can find it in the dark

And reignite the deadly spark

Crazy as it may seem

It’s easier this way

If you’re an object

I can put you away

Better yet I’ll drop you in a lake

Where ghosts can’t search

And the water’s so cold

My heart can’t hurt

I’ll reduce you to nothingness

But you won’t feel a thing

I’ll just be cleaning up the mess

And you’ll be sinking, sinking

Strange as it may seem

It’s better this way

If you aren’t real

Then I can get away

Perhaps this seems cruel to you

My plans for getting rid of you

But let’s remember you’re dangerous too

And I can’t let you win part two

Promise me peace of mind

And I’ll let you keep your voice

Let me rest every night

And I’ll give you a choice:

If you give me the freedom I need

I won’t banish you from my head

Promise you won’t come back for me

And I’ll put you in a frame instead

3 comments:

  1. is this a riddle? cause if it is a riddle and the answer is "man" then he must be banned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe Linda yes you go it. And don't worry - that is definitely my plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous14/1/11 16:27

    Is it just me, or are all the most sincere love songs by women about banishing men, breaking up, dismissing them? "To the left, to the left," "You know it's just too little too late," "thanks for makin' me a...fighta!" Exultation, glorying, reveling. And it isn't riddled with regrets either; take "Landslide," by miss Stevie Nicks; breaking up is a sign of progress, maturation, and bragging rights. Her boots are made for walkin'.

    The His department in this music genre seems riddled with a lot more misery, in my estimation. One lament after another. It's hard to think of a guy exulting in song, triumphing about the end of a relationship, and generally rubbing his ex's face in it (though I'm sure samples exist).

    Maybe I'm distorting; it would be hard to do a scientific attitude survey of all lyrics of all break-up music, sort it into male/female voices, and then sort their expressions into categories like penitent, grovelling, snarky, elated, triumphant, defiant, pugnacious, relieved, depressed, and so on.

    When you're listening to music like that, you probably don't have your stethoscope and white lab coat on.

    ReplyDelete