Pages

5.20.2011

Spring of Reckoning

Spring in Utah is a finicky, flirty creature which dances in and out of my ever wishful view. In late April the sun shines bright, in mid May the rain pours down and in early June snowflakes make a most unwelcome encore appearance. Spring here is backwards and brief. While I’ve been waiting for the sun to stay around for a whole week, I’ve been thinking about this season’s theme: Spring of Reckoning. The name bothered me for a while – at least until I went home to California for Mother’s Day weekend. Upon leaving the Oakland Airport I saw a familiar billboard reminding me that the end of the world is scheduled for Saturday May 21st, 2011. (My oh my, that’s tomorrow!) It got me thinking that if the world is going to end tomorrow (which it isn’t) and if mankind will be sent scrambling from utter destruction (which they won’t), how would I act differently today?

In most “end of the world” movies there is usually a reflection of devastation set on by mobbers, looters and other profiteers. It’s kind of funny to see people breaking into stores and stealing electronics when impending asteroids, fast-spreading epidemics and hungry monsters promise to wipe out 95% of the cast of a typical 90-minute flick, not to mention their local power supply! I hope that if I’m around to see the end of the world (and I don’t) then I’ll be able to keep my head on straight and resist the last-minute temptation to rob a bank. I would want to feel at peace with whatever was happening. It could be fun to run around city streets screaming my head off and breaking windows with crowbars but I imagine I’ll probably be an old lady by then and practically immobile. Maybe if I get bored in my old age I’ll figure out how to turbo boost my mobility scooter. (I could slap on a customized license plate that says something along the lines of “Scoot it or lose it!” Now that’d be a party!) Back to the serious stuff, though – in order to feel the least bit prepared for “the end” I would have to do everything possible to follow the commandments and feel the spirit of the Lord in my life. That, my friend, is priority #1.

Everyone goes about their relationship with God in a different way and for me personally it starts with changes in my day-to-day life. Instead of acting like spring in Utah (unreliable and fleeting), I can be more like winter in Utah (unshakable and never-ending. Literally.) If I dedicate myself to something I should hold onto it with a frozen fist and not allow spring showers to cloud my view. The whiteness of winter can make the smallest discrepancy stand out like a sore thumb. While I’ve never considered myself a “letter of the law” type of person I have been trying to watch out for shades of gray that try to disguise themselves as acceptable paths of righteousness. This spring I want to rededicate myself to the promises and goals I made throughout my life. They range drastically, covering everything from my family to my career, my religion and personal health. I would like to do as much as possible to reach my potential in the time allotted to me (no matter how short or long it is.)

Since the world is going to end tomorrow (not!) I don’t want to draw this out. Suffice it to say that this particular cuckoo prediction of the apocalypse has afforded me a little more time than usual to reflect on “the end” (or the beginning, if you prefer to think of it that way) and what I can do today to be more ready. Today, just like every day, I can send out love to everyone important to me. Today, just like every day, I can try to be the best “me” possible. And tomorrow, in God’s mercy, affords me another chance. Here’s to yesterday and today, but mostly tomorrow. May it be a sweet, sunny, even forgettable day. Come what may.

THE END

(or is it?)

2 comments:

  1. I have been waiting on pins and needles to see what your spring theme is! I love that you have a theme. I am going to have one for myself this summer actually. You inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aubree! I postponed this post forever because I was waiting for spring to come but I guess we just got Utah's version. Typical! ;) I want to hear about your theme...

    ReplyDelete