Pages

6.28.2012

Summer of Sportsmania


Photo Credit
Is it too early to say I already have gold medal fever? I’ve watched portions of Olympic trials all week and I can’t wait for the Opening Ceremony on Friday, July 27. I’ve also been recording a ton of the UEFA Euro Cup and I’m totally psyched to see Olympic soccer competition next month. It’s going to be a blast rooting for the individual athletes and random international teams I’ve become virtually acquainted with. While I would really love to set a productive goal this season I know my life is going to be dominated by waking up early to watch Olympic events before work and then staying up a bit too late to watch nightly broadcasts. This is simply how it goes during every Olympics!

I already have my eye on the Olympic games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016. If circumstances allow for it I really want to travel to Brazil for those games. I was able to visit my sister in Utah during the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City in 2002. Despite the fact that I was completely unprepared for the cold weather (I wore thin khaki pants my first day in downtown SLC), I was completely enthralled by the buzz of the crowd, giant banners hanging on skyscrapers, echoes of live concerts and the sheer number of law enforcement and national security officials. (I specifically remember having to flip over my belt buckle for a soldier running a metal detector near one of the venues.) I was especially thrilled when we spotted the US men's bobsled team at the mall. I still remember their crazy quad muscles! My sister, brother-in-law and I were able to watch a women’s hockey game between Germany and Kazakhstan. Even though Kazakhstan got killed we still waved our bright blue flags which we had bought outside of the arena. I spent one full day wandering the streets of downtown SLC buying commemorative Olympic pins. Those memories cemented my undying love for the Olympics. If I can attend the games in Rio I will be ecstatic.

I guess I do have one tiny productive goal this summer. I’m going to finish training for a half marathon which will be on Saturday, September 8. I think it will be nice to run in warmer weather but it’s going to be killer getting up even earlier than last year’s half marathon. My friends will be with me so I’m sure I’ll make it through.

Gosh, I can’t even focus on September for more than four sentences. I’m just so excited for July and August! July will be my last full month in P-town and then I’ll be watching the Olympics from my new apartment. I just have to be disciplined and remember to leave the house every once in a while to be social. I think I can do it. I just might run out the door screaming “U-S-A! U-S-A!”

1 comment:

  1. From Aubree (accidentally deleted by Amber):

    I had no idea that we shared the same passion for Olympics! I am so ecstatic for them to begin. I had planned on watching the gymnastics trials tomorrow night but then we got invited to go boating and spencer said yes so there goes that idea. I LOVE the pins and four pins from London are in the mail on there way to my house right now!

    ReplyDelete